BIOSECURITY ALERT - JUNE 2017
Bovine Johne's Disease Requirements
There has been some confusion about the J-BAS (Johne's Beef Assurance Score) program & biosecurity compliance by 1 July 2017.
Main points to consider;
- All cattle producers on the Monaro will automatically have a J-BAS-6 score IF THEY HAVE a basic written bio-security plan, if not they will be a score 0. Click here for the On-Farm Biosecurity Plan template.
- J-BAS program is voluntary. However, if you intend to sell cattle into either WA or NT you will need to be accredited as a J-BAS 7 or J-BAS 8 by 1 July 2017
- If you are already apart of the J-BAS program & you are currently rated as a J-BAS 7 or 8, you will revert back to a J-BAS 6 if NO On-Farm Biosecurity Plan in place by 1 July 2017. The On-Farm Biosecurity Plan will also need to be overseen and signed by your private veterinarian to obtain J-BAS 7 & 8.
- Under J-BAS, each producer is responsible for their own risk management
For more information about the Johne's Disease or the J-BAS program please go to https://www.animalhealthaustralia.com.au/johnes-disease-frequently-asked-questions/
Important Information for ALL Producers;
- From 1 October 2017, LPA accredited producers (each Property Identification Code (PIC)) will be required to meet bio-security and animal welfare requirements, and complete a three-yearly assessment in order to be LPA accredited. Under the bio-security requirements, LPA accredited producers will need to confirm they have an On-Farm Biosecurity Plan and implement best-practice biosecurity practices in their on-farm management. The On-Farm Biosecurity Plan will need to be completed & on file by 1 October 2017. Your biosecurity plan does not have to be submitted just completed & placed on file by 1 October 2017
- Please click here for an On-Farm Biosecurity Plan Template
- For more information please visit; https://www.mla.com.au/meat-safety-and-traceability/red-meat-integrity-system/about-the-livestock-production-assurance-program/seven-lpa-
- Producers who have already developed an on-farm bio-security plan as part of their approach to Johne’s disease management are not required to complete another.
Access Forms here:
On-Farm Biosecurity Plan Template
National Cattle Health Declaration
Animal Health Australia - Everything need to know JD Cattle
Animal Health Australia - Farm Biosecurity Plan
Meat & Livestock Australia - LPA
If you have any questions, please contact;
Local Land Services, Animal Health Australia, Meat & Livestock Australia (MLA)